POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wonderful products from microsoft : Re: Wonderful products from microsoft Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wonderful products from microsoft
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Jan 2008 10:15:47
Message: <4784e523$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Yah. 20 seconds early or late and she'd still be alive and unharmed.
>
> But for every person that gets something like this, there are thousands
> who escaped by 5, 10, 20 seconds from death.  Just due to the huge
> numbers of people on this planet, there will always be stories like
> this, people who were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

True...

> Don't forget, there's (roughly) a 1 in 14 million chance of winning a
> lottery, yet still hundreds of people worldwide have this happen to them
> every week...

Really? I thought it was actually quite unusual for anybody to win?
(This is why they have so many rollover weeks.)

[As an aside, I always thought a rollover week was a particularly *bad*
way to try to sell tickets. "Hey, everybody! Last week several million
people bought a ticket and NOBODY WON! You should hand over all your
money right away for your chance to not win this week's draw!"]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/