POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ink blot test : Re: Ink blot test Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ink blot test
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Jan 2008 08:08:22
Message: <4784c746$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   That's one thing I like about the Mandelbrot set: At first sight it
> seems that there isn't really all that much variation, but if you just
> keep exploring you'll find some surprises.

Indeed.

Originally I would just sort of explore at random. After a while you get
to know a few areas such that you can re-find them on que. But that's
not terribly exciting.

Later I spent some time working out the topology of the M set more
clearly. (I even have some mathematical rules that describe how the
periodic cycles work.)

Gradually I came to understand that particular shapes repeat around
things. Find a 3-way fork, zoom in, and you'll find minibrots decorated
with 3-way forks. (I quickly discovered that the negative tail has lots
of nie thin filaments that trace the internal structure of the other items.)

And then, after exploring the M set for years, I discovered something
completely unexpected: you can find mini Julia sets in there too! Real
Julia sets have 2-fold symmetry, but these mini copies have in their
interior shapes with 4-fold symmetry. And then 8-fold, 16-fold, and so
on, until you find a minibrot at the center.

And then, on exploring further, I discovered that there's a mini Julia
at every "junction point" inside, not just at the middle. But the ones
at other junctions have more complicated (and interesting) shapes. For
example, see

http://www.zazzle.com/MathematicalOrchid/product/228495105959465679

It's a normal "seashell" Julia, but bend into an S-shape. Most unusual.

And then, by choosing mini Julias inside, and going through multiple
non-central junctions, you can come up with really weird and wild shapes
[which inevitably end up looking a tad samey after a while].

I'm sure there is still plenty to be discovered in there...

> http://warp.povusers.org/snaps/fract/fract43.jpg

I like this.

> http://warp.povusers.org/snaps/fract/fract16.jpg

I wouldn't call this "unusual", but it is very beautiful.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/