POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Differential equations FTW! : Re: Differential equations FTW! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:15:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Differential equations FTW!
From: scott
Date: 9 Jan 2008 06:13:21
Message: <4784ac51$1@news.povray.org>
> The Xmorphia web site apparently no longer exists. (Firefox tells me the
> server cannot be found.)
>
> As for "Science, 261, 189, 9 July 1993", what does that actually *mean*?

I dug around and found the equations in some PDF paper:

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/45188.html

They're on page two, and if you understood how the wave equation worked then
it should be pretty trivial to implement.

If I get time I would like to try and implement this in a pixel shader, it's
exactly the thing that GPUs are good at - performing the same code on a huge
number of different pixels.

> Later I found books such as The Beauty of Fractals and so on in the local
> library. Most of these consisted of miles of very advanced mathematics,
> most of it concerning the statistical properties of the coastline or
> something, and almost none of it to do with drawing these fantastic images
> that I longed for. The tiny selection of actual *pictures* present usually
> included only the vaguest suggestion of what the image *is*, and
> absolutely no suggestion about HOW TO MAKE IT. It was an extremely
> frustrating time...

I think I looked at a BASIC implementation and figured out what the core
loop was doing.  It was pretty cool that such a small simple bit of code
made such nice pictures.  I tried writing a version in assembler, it worked
but using fixed point numbers meant you could only zoom in about 3 or 4
times until it all went wrong (no FPU on that machine!).