POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physical puzzle : Re: Physical puzzle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physical puzzle
From: pan
Date: 9 Jan 2008 01:47:43
Message: <47846e0f@news.povray.org>
news:47831ea6@news.povray.org...
> pan <pan### [at] syixcom> wrote:
>> Train wheels gripping track exponentially gets looser
>> the greater the speed of the train. At c or near c the
>> track will have to move almost the entire speed of the
>> train; else the instability will overwhelm your system.
>
>> ergo: the track and train muts be coupled, else you
>> would be asking about trains and tracks on separate
>> unique vectors. (Unpredictable vectors btw)
>
>> unless of course your train wheels and track rails are
>> made of unobtanium held together in the grip of
>> stick-but-slick-enough-to-let-the-wheels-move goop.
>
>> Think dentures under a lot of strain.
>
>  I don't even understand what you are trying to say.
>
>  But if the contact with the train and the track bothers you,
> then
> assume maglev.

Hmmm ... your lack of understanding must equal my dislike of
poorly done thought experiements.

Reset your conceits to some unitary object and no one
will bother you about real world dynamics.

Using atrains as your main object of conjecture implies
a necessary co-consideration of the track and the system
that the track and train comprise. To do otherwise
is laziness and sloppy. You obviously wanted a situation where
a inevitable collision of two trains served as a constraint
that was included only to heighten interest and (ahem) impact.

Much better models will serve you better to learn about
relativisitic effects.

"There was a young fellow named Fisk,
A swordsman, exceedingly brisk.
So fast was his action,