POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Jeff Wayne : Re: Jeff Wayne Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Jeff Wayne
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Jan 2008 20:39:56
Message: <478425ec$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 15:51:23 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> From an entertainment perspective, they are rather dissapointing -
>> especially when compared to the originals.
>
>   Even though I'm of the right age, I still managed to mostly miss all
>   the
> Star Wars phenomenon. Thus I didn't have too many expectations about the
> newer movies, and IMO they were quite enjoyable.
>
>   To tell you the truth, I don't really like the original trilogy
> (currently known as episodes 4-6), especially not the first movie. It
> has some interesting ideas, but it's not profound enough to raise enough
> interest in my opinion. Technically it sucks. It sucks even compared to
> other, better movies of the era (Alien being a prime example).
>
>   It's not that I dislike all movies of the late 70's, early 80's
>   because
> they aren't technically comparable to current movies. There are, in
> fact, many movies of that era which I think are true masterpieces, and
> others which are simply good. Alien I already mentioned. Other examples
> include The Thing, An American Werewolf in London, The Exorcist, and
> perhaps the best of them all, The Shining.
>
>   The Star Wars movies, especially the first one... I just don't like
>   it.

Star Wars (the 'first' movie made in the series) had some really
groundbreaking effects for the time period; IIRC, they were one of the
first to use chroma-key effects and large matte paintings to flesh out a
background.

Alien came after Star Wars (2 years later, in 1979; "A New Hope" was
released in '77); no argument from me that the creature effects in Alien
were much better; Stan Winston Studios have many very gifted artists
there, something Lucas didn't have for his creature effects.

The thing that Lucas did right in the original Star Wars trilogy (the one
from the 70's and 80's) is built an ensemble cast that worked well
together.  He really didn't seem to do that in the newer episodes, and
that left the acting very stilted and essentially those movies had no
real soul the way the first three did.

I have to admit, though, I liked episode 3, if only because it *had* to
have a dark ending.  I absolutely hated the ending of Return of the
Jedi.  Sith had a much better ending, even though it was entirely
predictable because episode 4 had been made decades prior to its release.

So I'd agree with Andy's initial assessment about eps 1-3 - they sucked.
But I'd also disagree with his assessment about the "special editions" -
those also sucked, because Lucas took something that was iconic and
messed with it.  Even though the changes were *technically* better, you
don't mess with something that is generally considered iconic.

Jim