POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : LOL^2 : Re: LOL^2 Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LOL^2
From: Alain
Date: 8 Jan 2008 19:36:07
Message: <478416f7$1@news.povray.org>
scott nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/08 11:09:
>> The cycle goes like this:
>>
>> 1. Destructive virus is released.
>>
>> 2. It takes 72 hours for any AV companies to even notice it exists,
>> much less obtain a useable sample for analysis.
>>
>> 3. It takes another 72 hours to analyse the virus and develop a virus
>> definition for it.
>>
>> 4. The new definition is deployed.
>>
>> 5. Our server downloads and applies the definition.
>>
>> My point is, that's 144 hours between the virus being released and the
>> virus definition being released. An extra 24 hours before the server
>> picks up the new definition seems quite trivial by conparison. The
>> virus has already had plenty of time to wreck your entire network,
>> long before the AV vendor has anything to offer you...
>
> Probably not, as I doubt the person who released the virus aimed it
> straight at your network.  Likely it took several days to build up
> worldwide before it got into your network somehow.

The worst virus out there are made to target one or only a few companies. They
are made to remain under the AV radars by limiting ther diffusion.
Very slow propagation to keep a minimal network impact. Very few machines
infected every day or weeks, with a relatively low stop therhold. But, as they
target juicy targets, the payof can be prety impressive.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you downloaded and printed the