POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Most incomprehensible films ever : Re: Most incomprehensible films ever Server Time
12 Oct 2024 07:12:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most incomprehensible films ever
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 8 Jan 2008 16:19:02
Message: <4783e8c6$1@news.povray.org>
>> [Altough there seems to be almost universal agreement that Star Wars III
>> sucks beyond belief...]
>
> Where did you see that? Of the 3 movies of the new trilogy it was the one
> that had the best reviews (see the Wikipedia article and the IMDB and
> RottenTomatoes ratings for instance).

Hmm, OK. The false concencus effect then, perhaps?

> In any case Warp is right, the problem with these movies were not that they
> sucked: the whole Star Wars franchise is a tribute to the cheesy serials
> from Lucas' childhood after all, so the suckage was built-in, from Darth
> Vader to Jar-Jar. It was that the fans expectations were impossible to meet.
> The material was cheesy from the very start, but it didn't look that way
> when the fans were little kids in the 80s. The new movies are cheesy too,
> but the fans grew up...

I wouldn't say there's anything "cheesy" about any of the films in the
series - old or new. The problem is that the new films are an endless
cascade of fantastical over-the-top visuals linked by little or no
story, never mind dialog or character interaction. But there we are...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/