POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Electric sheep : Re: Electric sheep Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Electric sheep
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 8 Jan 2008 14:19:34
Message: <4783ccc6$1@news.povray.org>

> Do andriods dream of electric sheep?
>
> Does anybody reading this use Electric Sheep? Is it any good?
>
> I had a go with it last night. I got it to display one looping
> animation, but that's all I could get it to do. Hmm.

I used to, but stopped because the MPEG video showing at fullscreen
(plus the fact that you may end up rendering frames for them) needs some
CPU time, which means less CPU available for BOINCing
(http://boinc.berkeley.edu/).

Recent versions of the screensaver get the videos via BitTorrent. The
server doesn't overload as much since then :) But may cause problems to
download. For example, it may take a while to connect to enough people
to get a decent download speed.

Try getting a sheep pack for a start:
http://draves.org/blog/archives/000470.html