POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : LOL^2 : Re: LOL^2 Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LOL^2
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Jan 2008 11:16:26
Message: <4783a1da$1@news.povray.org>
>> My point is, that's 144 hours between the virus being released and the
>> virus definition being released. An extra 24 hours before the server
>> picks up the new definition seems quite trivial by conparison. The
>> virus has already had plenty of time to wreck your entire network,
>> long before the AV vendor has anything to offer you...
>
> Probably not, as I doubt the person who released the virus aimed it
> straight at your network.  Likely it took several days to build up
> worldwide before it got into your network somehow.

Maybe you'll be unlucky. Most likely you won't. Either way, shaving 4
hours off the window of opportunity seems a little moot when the window
is theoretically hundreds of hours wide to start with, that's all.

>> [Ooo... the thought of 50 machines all trying to hit the same server
>> onc per second over a 2 MB Internet link... that's not even funny.]
>
> Try having just one machine check and download the updates, then deal
> them out to everyone on your network.  That's how we do it here, as you
> say, seems kinda stupid to have all your machines all downloading the
> same software from the same place the whole time, especially with a
> limited network link.

Yes, our current solution does that, and hopefully the new software will
eventually be configured that way too. (It requires updating a server to
a newer version of Windows.)

As I said to Gail, our current AV solution tries to update once per day,
which is 7x more often than the actual update release frequency. Seems
fine to me. I don't know how often (if at all) our new provider releases
these things...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/