POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Differential equations FTW! : Re: Differential equations FTW! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Differential equations FTW!
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Jan 2008 10:20:14
Message: <478394ae$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> The wave tank one is easy, for every "pixel" it simply solves the wave
> equation.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_equation
>
> It may look scary if you don't recognise the symbols

The 2nd partial derrivative of u with respect to t (time?) is equal to
the square of the wave velocity multiplied by the Laplacian of u.

What the heck is a Laplacian when it's at home?

Oh, wait - it's a second-order differential operator in the N-dimenional
Euclidian space defined as the divergence of the gradient. Obviously.

._.

Ouch.

Wikipedia - a great reference source, a rubbish way to learn brand new
concepts. (Indeed, I've seen articles marked for revision *because*
"Wikipedia is not a how-to". Hmm, what *is* Wikipedia then?)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/