POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Differential equations FTW! : Re: Differential equations FTW! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Differential equations FTW!
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Jan 2008 10:05:17
Message: <4783912d$1@news.povray.org>
Paul Fuller wrote:

>> Does anybody know how either of these simulations actually work?
>
> Cellula Automata - Each cell (pixel) follows some simple rules based on
> its current state and that of its neighbours to determine its state in
> the next generation.

I thought a cellula automaton is where each cell has a *finite* number
of possible states? In this example, we have (conceptually) continuous
rather than discrete states.

> This particular example looks like it implements some equations that
> model the reaction of chemicals in 2D.  There are real mixtures that
> exhibit the pulsating and alternating patterns that some settings
> reproduce.

Indeed. That's how I found the link. ;-) I saw a TV program mention that
the patterns of animal skins can be described by a single mathematical
formula. Searching for this formula, I came across a document claiming
it's due to reaction diffusion - and hence the second link, which is a
simulation of the reaction diffusion differential equation.

Now, if I could figure out what the equation is and how it works, I
might be able to simulate it...

> Fiddling around with the parameters gives some behaviours that are
> interesting and some that quickly lead to all dead, all alive or
> something else.
>
> The number of possible combinations of the parameters is huge but there
> are typically a small number of interesting classes of behaviour on the
> boundaries between boring and chaotic.

Indeed, this is the case with a lot of fractals. A simple set of rules,
iterated a sufficient number of times, gives rise to complicated and
unpredictable behaviour, which is often quite pretty to look at. :-)

> Fun stuff.  Thanks for the link.

It's not quite as much fun, but do a search for "boids" to see some
interesting flocking behaviour...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/