POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physical puzzle : Re: Physical puzzle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:14:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physical puzzle
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Jan 2008 12:32:20
Message: <47826224@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:
> And lo on Fri, 04 Jan 2008 19:19:43 -0000, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
> did spake, saying:
>
>> Phil Cook wrote:
>>> Though won't the double track also seem foreshortened?
>>
>> Yes, but the oncoming train will seem *more* foreshortened.
>>
>>> travelling so fast it'll just sail straight over the gap without
>>> falling far enough to get stuck.
>>
>> Not ... exactly. The problem isn't that he doesn't fall far enough.
>> The problem is that the bottom of the train starts falling before the
>> top does, kind of.
>>
>> And in that case, there are only two speeds involved (the track and
>> the train), rather than the three in Warp's original problem.
>
>  From an outside observer's pov both trains are shorter then the double
> track so should pass without problem; I was trying to reconcile it with
> the traindrivers' view. The oncoming train is shorter, but so is the
> double track; so they should still collide?

No, because the oncoming westbound train is coming at the eastbound
train faster than the tracks are coming at the eastbound train, so the
westbound train appears to be smaller than the siding as seen from the
eastbound train.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it