POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Maybe? : Re: Maybe? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Maybe?
From: scott
Date: 7 Jan 2008 03:46:22
Message: <4781e6de$1@news.povray.org>
>> Normally a variable - may be slippery, may be wet; it depends.
>>

> Ahhh. Thank you.

I thought it was usually short for "maybe cut", ie there might be a
possibility to cut off some part of the turn (eg by putting two wheels onto
the grass).  It's because the conditions might have changed since the recce,
spectators, rocks, debris, mud or anything could be there which wasn't there
earlier.  I haven't watched that specific clip though so could be wrong.

Vaguely related, I remember watching Colin McRae and his co-driver to the
pre-run recce of a rally stage once, they were approaching an "S" bend that
had flat grass all around it so decided that in the rally they would
completely cut off the two turns and drive through the middle across the
grass, allowing that section to be taken at a much higher speed and saving
valuable time.

Come the real rally, they approach this same section at considerable speed
expecting to simply cut through the middle, only to find a course official
standing directly in their path!  Some extreme sideways driving (and a lot
of lost time) got them around ok in the end IIRC.