POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Most incomprehensible films ever : Re: Most incomprehensible films ever Server Time
12 Oct 2024 03:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most incomprehensible films ever
From: Chambers
Date: 6 Jan 2008 14:39:44
Message: <47812e80$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Attwood wrote:
>> While I was stationed in Iceland, I did a business trip to the town of
>> Thorshofn, and there I stayed at a very nice bed and breakfast.  One night
>> there was film on TV called "The Night is Dark on the Shores of the
>> Baltic" or something like that.  The movie was originally in Russian, and
>> it had Icelandic subtitles.  Having only the very slightest grasp of
>> either language, the movie was a total mystery to me.
>>
>> The next day I was chatting with some Icelanders at a radar site that was
>> the purpose of my visit, and I mentioned it to them.  They replied that
>> the subtitles didn't help; the movie was still inscrutable.
>
> I couldn't really follow Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, it's
> probably the translation thing, never was sure why that could
> win any awards. Squatting director, hidden plot.

Really?  I loved it.  One of the best martial arts movies I've ever
seen, in fact.

The DVD has an English language track on it; maybe watching that would
make it easier for you.  For me, seeing the actors mouths not match the
words come out is far more jarring than reading subtitles.  I'm more
than willing to read what they're saying in order to have the spoken
dialog fit how their mouths move.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com