POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Did you know... : Re: Did you know... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Did you know...
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Jan 2008 12:50:57
Message: <47811501$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> It still boggles my mind that a warp of space of < 2 mm can cause the
>> gravity on earth. :-)
>
>   I think there's too much experimental evidence of the GR equations being
> right to not to believe it...

(holds tongue... ;-)

But seriously, yes, I believe it. It's still mind boggling. :-) I think
it's more likely there's something more complex that's well understood
by people other than me that accounts for the apparently-large results
from apparently small distortions of space.

Maybe it's just that (a) we evolved with this gravity, so of course it
seems like a lot, (b) gravity isn't really that strong, as it takes the
entire sun just to keep the earth in an annual orbit, or something like
that.

>   I suppose the geodesics "bend" quite a lot in the dimension we don't
> "see" from our limited 3D perspective. Or, from another point of view,
> we move in time quite "fast".

Since GR measures time and space in the same units (modulo "c"), I would
guess it's well-understood how fast we move in time. :-)

I think I need to dig up my feynman lectures on GR for people who aren't
physicists again.  (aka "Six not-so-easy pieces")

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it