POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another physical puzzle : Re: Another physical puzzle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another physical puzzle
From: pan
Date: 5 Jan 2008 13:00:44
Message: <477fc5cc@news.povray.org>
news:477ad72c$1@news.povray.org...
> You are sitting in a canoe, in a swimming pool, holding a cannon
> ball in your lap. You throw the cannonball overboard, and it
> sinks to the bottom. Does the level of water in the pool go up,
> go down, or stay the same?
>
> (I've asked this of probably a dozen or more scuba dive
> instructors, and only one has gotten it right. The reasoning
> behind the correct answer is obvious once you hear it. I don't
> remember if I got it right when I heard it.)
>
> --
>   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
>     It's not feature creep if you put it
>     at the end and adjust the release date.

Well that's interesting:

If one cannon ball level imperceptibly lowers;

If MANY cannon balls the swiiming pool will
fill tis cavity and eventually overflow;

Graphing the water level versus number of
cannon balls does not result in a linear
image.

Bonus points:
1. How many cannon balls before dip becomes rise?
(assume  CB V= .001 swimming pools and
CB density equals 7.87 g/mL)
2. What is the type name of such curves?
3. What kind of person would assume a swimming
pool could be *drained* by dropping cannon balls
into it?