POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Did you know... : Re: Did you know... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Did you know...
From: Alain
Date: 5 Jan 2008 11:08:20
Message: <477fab74$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/04 14:41:
>>> It don't decide to get larger far from galaxies, galaxies prevent it to
>>> get larger.
>> Yeah. I was asking about the mechanism, tho. Is there an actual theory
>> as to *why* this happens?
>>
>>> The concensus is rather that galaxies start as spiral and degenerate
>>> into globular clusters.
>> Ah. This is something new (or more correct at least) than when I last
>> looked at it.
>>
> Actually, as I stating in the other post, its not really the consensus
> any more, at least in new studies. And imho, it also makes no sense.
> Tidal forces from a spinning black hole "could" pull stars into a
> spiral. That would make sense. But... What kind of mechanism would
> possibly make a galaxy start spinning, when it first formed *then* stop
> spinning later? Either Alain has it backwards, or if just flat out
> doesn't make any sense to me.

Globular galaxies DO spin, otherwise they would totaly collapse unto themself,
all the stars merging toggether. This would cause the biggest, meanest,
mega-super-novae, if colapsing slow enough, or immediately collapse into a
super-massive black hole, if the collapse get a little faster. Both will cause
the formation of a huge black hole, the first way only add some mega firework.
Dopler shift analysis of all globular galaxies have shown that they are rotating.
Blobular galaxies are a lot like the nucleus of the spiral ones. The cenario is
that after the interstellar gases are all used up to form stars and planets, the
spiraling arm slowly fade away, leaving only the nucleus visible.

--
Alain
Phobophobia, n., The fear of fear. The fear of those who have phobia.