POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to calculate object size : Re: How to calculate object size Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:30:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to calculate object size
From: Sherry Shaw
Date: 4 Jan 2008 19:37:24
Message: <477ed144@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:
> badjanah nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/03 08:12:
>> I need to insert into povray scene some exported 3ds objects. Exported
>> objects are complex, have many polygons and vertex. How automatically
>> calculate object bounding box for scaling to needed size?
>>

> Get PoseRay (Free).
> Import the 3DS object into PoseRay.
> Here, you can rotate, translate and rotate the object if you wish.
> Export the object to POV-Ray. This will create a file (.inc) that
> POV-Ray can use. That file will contain a mesh version of your object.
> You may also have some other files containing the materials to be used
> with the obect.
>
> #include the file(s) from PoseRay into your scene.
>
> Once the object is available to POV-Ray, you can use min_extent() and
> max_extent() to retreive the actual bounding box of that object and use
> that to scale it.
> As the imported object is a mesh, you can use 1000's of it without problem.

Also, the #include file created by PoseRay will include (as comments)
the minimum and maximum x-, y-, and z-extents of the object, which *may*
save you a step or two, at least in deciding precisely how to deal with
the object.

--Sherry Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+