POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Did you know... : Re: Did you know... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Did you know...
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Jan 2008 14:15:16
Message: <477e85c4$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> I'm not clear on two things: (a) why, if space expands, don't the things
>> in the space expand, and (b) why would gravity "overcome" the expansion
>> of space.
>
>   Gravity deforms space, as does the expansion of the universe. Gravity
> resists the expansion.

That was kind of what I was getting at with
"""
(other than "new space" only appearing where curvature from gravity is
flat enough)
"""

>   Perhaps you are thinking about gravity as a force?

It *is* a force, depending on your definition of "force". :) As in
"F=ma". If you're going to argue gravity isn't a force, then magnetism
isn't a force either, nor is pushing on something.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it