POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Company newsletters : Re: Company newsletters Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Company newsletters
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Jan 2008 11:53:05
Message: <477e6471$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:

>>> On that note does is say "shareholder's wealth" or "shareholders'
>>> wealth" as the former would indicate that there was only shareholder.
>>
>> Yeah, but not a lot of people know that. I mean, heck, we're talking
>> about people who can't pronounce "aluminium" correctly. ;-)
>
> Yeah, but it would be good for a giggle wouldn't it, just 'correct' it
> as "Continue to enhance the wealth of our shareholder" and see if anyone
> notices.

I guarantee nobody will notice. ;-)

[98% certainty.]

>> One person? Perhaps. A large corporation? Well, you can say "new
>> management" and stuff. Unlike people, companies can change. (Although
>> it's still fairly rare.)
>
> What I meant was in poker if everyone folds then your cards remain
> hidden, if you've announced you're looking forward to a big profit and
> you don't get one that's difficult (but not impossible) to hide.

Ah yes, but then you say "ah, we _would_ have made a profit but we
forgot about X; this time we really WILL make a killing!" It works for a
while...

>>>  People are highly sensible when it comes to stocks, just ignore the
>>> South Sea Bubble, Wall Street Crash, Dot-com Bubble, Black Wednesday,
>>> and the current Sub-Prime Scandal and you won't see a single instance
>>> of laissez-faire capitialism being misused by them.
>>
>> Wow. That's advanced. I can't even tell if you're serious of not. LOL!
>
> Heh to summarise they're cases where people thought they could make
> quick and easy money with little or no risk. Like 99% of such cases they
> were wrong. It's the 1% that makes the money and keeps people trying...
> either that or having a huge wad invested in a diverse portfolio whereby
> the overall long-term trend up-wards cancels out any short-term losses.
> Or having the initials GWB and illegally selling all your shares just
> before the announcements of how much money your company has lost is
> reported. (I'd like to point out for the record that the SEC
> investigated that instance and the man in charge of the investigation,
> who was a really good friend of the defendent's father, didn't think
> there was a case worth pursuing)

Riiiight. Erm, what were we talking about in the first place now? I
forget? heh.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/