POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Most incomprehensible films ever : Re: Most incomprehensible films ever Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most incomprehensible films ever
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 4 Jan 2008 10:37:30
Message: <477e52ba@news.povray.org>
news:477e49fd$1@news.povray.org...

> Oh, is that what that's supposed to be. (What is this monolith thing,
> and why is it there?)

Alien artifact. To kickstart human evolution.

> Oh, is *that* why they went there? (And that's where "there" was...)

Did you sleep through the first half or something?

> The final film seems to consist of about 45 minutes of intense battle,
> followed by 8 hours of "saying goodbye"...
>
> I've never read the books, but I'm guessing it's not like that. ;-)

Pretty much is. In the books, book 5 mostly concerns Gondor and all that
happened there, and book 6 mostly follows the happenings of the hobbits

The battle of Pellanor fields starts on page 83 of the edition I have and
ends around page 140.
The goodbyes start on page 301 and the last page of the book is 378. But
then a lot happens in that that was left out of the movie. The movie did
stretch the ending out far too long. There were so many more things they
could have put in from the book, that they didn't.

(pages 200-300 are Sam and Frodo's trip across Mordor to Mount Doom)