POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Most incomprehensible films ever : Re: Most incomprehensible films ever Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most incomprehensible films ever
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 4 Jan 2008 09:43:44
Message: <477e4620@news.povray.org>
news:477e3b03$1@news.povray.org...
> Gail Shaw wrote:
>
> >> #2 2001 Space Oddessy.
> >
> > Try reading the book. The first sequel's also good, not sure about the
other
> > 2.
> > What was confusing about this anyway?
>
> First there's some monkeys hitting a large black brick.

The monolith on earth, sparking tool usage in proto-humans and kick-starting
the whole human race.

> Then there's a
> baby floating in space.

OK, I don't remember that. Wait, wasn't that at the end, after Dave
sees/falls into the monolith?

> Then there's something approximating a bad acid
> trip.

You mean the space trip to IO to investigate the monolith? Or the end where
Dave's experiencing the monolith.

> There's also a computer who calls everybody "Dave".

No. It only calls Dave, Dave. But then, seeing as it's killed everyone else,
there's not really anyone else to speak to.
btw, the computer's name was HAL 9000

The whole theme of the movie/book is evolution of mankind. Natural or
forced.

> Um... wuh??

Seriously, read the book. It's by Arthur C. Clark. Read Odyssey Two as well.

There's some good comments on the movie here
http://www.bautforum.com/small-media-large/4510-meaning-2001-space-odyssey.h
tml

> It does look like the kind of film where they tried to fit a giant story
> into quite a short film - with the result that it makes almost no sense
> at all. (Unless you already know what's going to happen.)

It is quite a long book. Forget the movie version of it. it wasn't great.
See if you can find the mini series version (4 parts) That's quite good and

> [BTW, did you ever watch the "extended" versions of the three LotR
> films? My God, they make *so* much more sense!

Yes a few times, but seeing as I've read all the books more than once, they
made sense anyway.
Though there are long pieces in the movie that aren't in the books at all.