POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Most incomprehensible films ever : Re: Most incomprehensible films ever Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:15:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most incomprehensible films ever
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Jan 2008 08:56:19
Message: <477e3b03$1@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:

> You mean 12 Monkeys. It's not supposed to make sense til the end.

It didn't make sense even at the end.

But then, the film was so unrelentingly depressing that by then I'd
given up *trying* to understand it.

>> #2 2001 Space Oddessy.
>
> Try reading the book. The first sequel's also good, not sure about the other
> 2.
> What was confusing about this anyway?

First there's some monkeys hitting a large black brick. Then there's a
baby floating in space. Then there's something approximating a bad acid
trip. There's also a computer who calls everybody "Dave".

Um... wuh??

>> #1 Dune.
>
> Try reading the book. Just don't bother with any of the sequels.

It does look like the kind of film where they tried to fit a giant story
into quite a short film - with the result that it makes almost no sense
at all. (Unless you already know what's going to happen.)

[BTW, did you ever watch the "extended" versions of the three LotR
films? My God, they make *so* much more sense! Although, to watch all
three, you had better have a big bowl of popcorn... it's something
absurd like 9 hours in total.]

> FWIW, I watched and loved all three, and had no problems understanding them
> (at the end, you're supposed to be asking questions while watching).

I was. ;-) Questions like "who is that guy?", "what just happened?", and
"what is this film *about* anyway?"

> That said, they're not straight forward no-thought-required movies and, I
> believe, a lot of the attraction of them would be lost if they were

Thinking I don't mind so much. Not being entirely sure why something
happened I can handle. Having no clue what on earth you're watching
isn't so much fun...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/