POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Did you know... : Re: Did you know... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Did you know...
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Jan 2008 20:49:23
Message: <477d90a3$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   I don't think the brick would expand because forces which are much
>>> stronger than gravity are keeping it together.
>
>> In other words, space expands, but then the brick collapses again? Sure,
>> it's possible.
>
>   No. Space expands, the brick doesn't.

That doesn't really make sense.  "Everything gets longer, except your
rulers."  It would seem to be changing fundamental physical constants.

>   Hey, I'm just repeating what they are saying. Don't blame me.

Fair enough. :-)

>   AFAIK space doesn't expand inside galaxies.

OK. More weirdness. Have you heard any postulates on why that would be
the case? Space only expands where the gravity is sufficiently low?
Sounds like "Fire Upon the Deep" to me, where the speed of light gets
faster the farther away from galaxies you get. :)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it