POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physical puzzle : Re: Physical puzzle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physical puzzle
From: Alain
Date: 3 Jan 2008 12:20:59
Message: <477d197b$1@news.povray.org>
Warp nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/03 01:50:
> John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> Oh, wait, I thought this was a real-world situation.  Silly me.
>
>   Given the proper circumstances (not actual trains, but something similar,
> capable of doing the feat), why wouldn't it be a real-world situation?
>
>   Or are you saying that relativity doesn't work in the real world?

Real word trains can't go fast enough. A freight train 2000m long going twice as
fast as the fastest maglev will only have a relavistic contraction of atomic
scale, and a thermal expantion from air friction aproaching 1m.
So, your relativistic seppd solution is not viable. My critical breaking
solution is at least tryable. Each wagon coupling can contract almost 30cm,
multiply that by the number of wagons in a typical freight train, and the train
can contract a few meters.

--
Alain
Methodist: It's not so bad if shit happens, as long as you serve grape juice