POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Did you know... : Re: Did you know... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Did you know...
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Jan 2008 11:59:46
Message: <477d1482$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Now, if space expanded and gravity pulled everything back together, that
>> makes sense. But that still doesn't answer the question of whether (for
>> example) a brick floating in intergalactic space would be 10% bigger if
>> given enough time.
>
>   I don't think the brick would expand because forces which are much
> stronger than gravity are keeping it together.

In other words, space expands, but then the brick collapses again? Sure,
it's possible. It still doesn't explain why space expands but the matter
in it doesn't. It's like saying "time slows down, but the spring in the
clock keeps it running the same speed". :-)

I don't think this works for celestial objects. If you added space
between the sun and the earth without slowing the orbit of the earth (in
absolute velocity terms), you'd make an unstable system where the earth
would tend to move even farther from the sun.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it