POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physical puzzle : Re: Physical puzzle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physical puzzle
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Jan 2008 02:18:42
Message: <477c8c52$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   This is an example of a measurement which we can do right here right now.
> It doesn't require humongous amounts of time.

Yep.

>   Now, if I say "the current consensus among scientists is that the theory
> of evolution is mostly correct", that doesn't mean I have the same degree
> of confidence in it as with the GPS thing.

Yeah, until you get drug-resistant TB. Then you're kind of screwed.

>   In the exact same way as we cannot check how the expansion of the
> universe has occurred during millions of years, we cannot check how
> evolution has occurred during millions of years. We can speculate from
> some of the consequences, but it's only speculation. We cannot measure
> here and now.

Fair enough. But you're not checking that GR worked for millions of
years. You can't check that *any* theory has been correct for millions
of years. It's nothing specific to evolution.

You can watch evolution and speciation in the lab. You can cause it to
happen at will. You can see millions of years of results consistent with
evolution, from bone shape to genetics.  You can prove that bone shape
is *caused* by genetics.[1] You have to account for it when creating
medicines. Software and hardware you use daily is designed with
evolutionary algorithms.

Not sure how you can't measure "here and now" what evolution does.

What part do you think is in doubt?

>>> but we can't go back in time a few million years to check evolution
>
>> Sure we can. That's what fossils are for. Same way we check things like
>> binary stars obeying GR and black holes obeying GR.
>
>   Says the person who takes expansion of the universe and dark energy
> with a grain of salt, and seriously considers alternative theories...

Yep. Because we have tons of other ways of checking the same thing.
That's what makes it a theory instead of a hypothesis: You get the same
answer when you measure the value with a dozen different independent
experiments.

[1] Apparently, the same gene that causes there to be five fingers is
also related to sexual reproduction, so almost all mammals, birds, and
fish that have anything even remotely like hands and feet, wings,
flippers, fins, etc have five bones in them. Not something you'd expect,
until you look at the genes that cause that, and see they also cause
stuff necessary for sexual reproduction.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it