POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Did you know... : Re: Did you know... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Did you know...
From: Warp
Date: 3 Jan 2008 02:13:12
Message: <477c8b08@news.povray.org>
> >   Of course it makes sense. Ever heard of this thing called center of mass?

> Stop and think a bit. (Note that I'm no longer arguing whether the
> universe *is* a black hole or not. :-)

> Take a sphere (not a ball). Put dots of different sizes on it. Which is
> the dot that's closest to the "center of gravity"?

  Using spherical coordinates, you can calculate the point on the sphere
which has the smallest sum of distances to each of the points. The center
of mass differs from this only in that each point can have assigned a
different mass, and the distance is weighted by the squared inverse of
that mass.

--
                                                          - Warp