POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Did you know... : Re: Did you know... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Did you know...
From: Warp
Date: 2 Jan 2008 15:02:46
Message: <477bede5@news.povray.org>
> Take a photon that's halfway to the S-radius (for some meaning of
> "halfway"). Fire it perpendicular to the radius (for some meaning of
> "perpendicular"). I would think the photon would follow a spiraling
> descent, rather than fall straight towards the singularity. Fire one in
> the opposite direction. It'll take a different path. If photons always
> follow geodesics, either you can have multiple geodesics pointing
> "straight at" the singularity, or your impression is wrong. I don't know
> which it would be, tho.

  When the photon is outside the event horizon it follows some curve
(unless it's going directly towards the center of the black hole), but
once it passes the event horizon, things change.

> > I would expect
> > that no geodesic points away from the singularity at any point.

> Yeah. I'm just not sure the math works the same when you consider the
> whole universe to be the black hole.

  Why not?

> If it were true, how could you
> measure the "center" of the black hole?

  It's where the singularity is. A black hole always has a singularity
(if GR is right, that is).

--
                                                          - Warp