POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Did you know... : Re: Did you know... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Did you know...
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Jan 2008 11:48:31
Message: <477bc05f$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I must admit that I have no idea what the GR equations say about this,
> but I got the impression that inside the event horizon all geodesics point
> straight at the singularity, when going forward in time.

I wouldn't think they point *straight* at the singularity, unless a
photon spiraling to its death is considered to be going in a "straight"
line. The fact that two particles can take different paths starting from
the same place would seem to imply that "straight at the singularity" is
either mistaken or so counter-intuitive that I don't understand what it
means. :-)

Take a photon that's halfway to the S-radius (for some meaning of
"halfway"). Fire it perpendicular to the radius (for some meaning of
"perpendicular"). I would think the photon would follow a spiraling
descent, rather than fall straight towards the singularity. Fire one in
the opposite direction. It'll take a different path. If photons always
follow geodesics, either you can have multiple geodesics pointing
"straight at" the singularity, or your impression is wrong. I don't know
which it would be, tho.

> I would expect
> that no geodesic points away from the singularity at any point.

Yeah. I'm just not sure the math works the same when you consider the
whole universe to be the black hole. If it were true, how could you
measure the "center" of the black hole? *I* sure don't understand the
subject well enough to be sure. I'm just saying what I've heard other
reputable GR scientists say.

Fun to babble about it, tho. ;-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)