POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Oblique projection : Re: Oblique projection Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oblique projection
From: Chris B
Date: 2 Jan 2008 05:34:10
Message: <477b68a2$1@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.477b2ad4a3477974ea6fcf450@news.povray.org...
> How do I achieve oblique projection using POV-Ray? I've tried messing
> around
> with the up and right vectors, but have achieved mixed results. Compare
> the
> following two blocks of code:
>
> camera
> {
> location -z*(CameraDistance)
> look_at 0
> direction z*(CameraDistance)
> up y*5/2
> right x*5/2
> rotate <asind(tand(30)),45,0>
> }
>
> camera
> {
> location -z*(CameraDistance)
> look_at 0
> direction z*(CameraDistance)
> up vnormalize(y-z)*5/2
> right x*5/2
> rotate <asind(tand(30)),45,0>
> }
>
> The latter results in no difference. Am I on the right track by messing
> with the
> up and right vectors?
>
> -Mike

Hi Mike,

No, I don't think you're quite on the right track. Glancing at Wikipedia, it
seems to me as though oblique projection is just orthographic projection but
with the screen not being at right angles to the line between the camera and
the look_at point.

If that's what you're after, then I would have thought you'd want to start
off by using the POV-Ray orthographic camera (see Orthographic Projection in
the help file) rather than the default perspective camera and then adjusting
the sizes of the up and right vectors.

Regards,
Chris B.