POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Did you know... : Re: Did you know... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Did you know...
From: Warp
Date: 1 Jan 2008 17:16:47
Message: <477abbce@news.povray.org>
> >   It's true that nobody dares to even guess what is happening inside the
> > event horizon of a black hole.

> Not true. They just won't guess what happens at the singularity. It's
> called a singularity because the math breaks down there.

  No, I think it's inside the event horizon. While GR equations tell us
what happens if GR holds inside the event horizon in the same way as
outside it, it's still speculation.

> Calculate the gravitational curvature at the Schwartzchild radius for a
> galaxy-sized black hole. It's not that great. You likely wouldn't even
> notice you'd crossed any sort of boundary. (At least, that's what I've
> read. I am not sure how to do the math myself.)

  I think you could clearly see the event horizon regardless of its size
because of the way it bends light.

  Once inside, you are doomed. There's no escaping the singularity.
You'll go there no matter what you do.

>  > However, if GR is right, everything inside
> > the event horizon inevitably goes to the singularity and there just isn't
> > escaping it. You just can't keep away from it no matter what you try.

> Sure. Let me know when you figure out how to escape the universe. :-)

  Nothing is going towards a global singularity in the universe. On the
contrary, everything is going away from everything else.

> >> Surely you're not asking seriously? A sphere is a 2D finite surface with
> >> no border.
> >
> >   The sphere is its own border.

> No, the sphere is a border for a ball, not a sphere.

  A ball is a sphere.

  Perhaps you are confusing it with a spherical surface?

--
                                                          - Warp