POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Did you know... : Re: Did you know... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Did you know...
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Jan 2008 15:32:34
Message: <477aa362@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   If you were at the center of the galaxy you wouldn't be looking at the
>>> sky. I think you would be infinitely small.
>
>> I'm not sure anyone is sure what happens in the middle of a black hole.
>> If "you" were in a position to see, you could certainly see the sky. The
>> sky couldn't see you, mind.
>
>   It's true that nobody dares to even guess what is happening inside the
> event horizon of a black hole.

Not true. They just won't guess what happens at the singularity. It's
called a singularity because the math breaks down there.

Calculate the gravitational curvature at the Schwartzchild radius for a
galaxy-sized black hole. It's not that great. You likely wouldn't even
notice you'd crossed any sort of boundary. (At least, that's what I've
read. I am not sure how to do the math myself.)

 > However, if GR is right, everything inside
> the event horizon inevitably goes to the singularity and there just isn't
> escaping it. You just can't keep away from it no matter what you try.

Sure. Let me know when you figure out how to escape the universe. :-)

>> Surely you're not asking seriously? A sphere is a 2D finite surface with
>> no border.
>
>   The sphere is its own border.

No, the sphere is a border for a ball, not a sphere.

(Sorry if that "surely" comment sounded insulting. It just surprised me
that anyone with a background in technology and graphics wouldn't be
familiar with this.)

Take, as an alternate example, a video game like "asteroids", where the
stuff that goes off the top of the screen comes on the bottom, and the
sides are connected. This is geometrically equivalent to a torus. There
are no boundaries for the spaceship to run into, but the space is still
finite. It is postulated that the universe could be like that.

You can even have a space where the sides are boundaries but the top and
bottom are connected (forming a cylinder), meaning finite space but only
bounded in some places and not others.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it