POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : On the topic of databases... : Re: On the topic of databases... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:17:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: On the topic of databases...
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 1 Jan 2008 07:42:25
Message: <477a3531$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> That's what I've usually done, but I've so far written systems where
> only one application accesses the DB.

Actually so have I. OTOH, I usually haven't done actually finished
frontends to write the data to db, just to access it (darn, it's clearly
too easy to login to the db and write pure SQL to push data at home db's
:p).

> I saw a lecture about a tool set one person built (Wyatt Erp or some
> such name) (in Tcl) that let you build enterprise-level systems. One
> application took orders, another did the accounting, one did the
> scheduling, one sent the parts list to the assembly automation, and so
> on. So you really wouldn't want the guy running the application that ran
> the machine tools to have access to the same stuff the guy running the
> sales management software to have.

Actually I know couple of systems, where different applications and
users deal with different things and via one application one user can do
different things than another user. I'm not sure if I can say enterprise
-level, but pretty major systems for one firm.

And yet even these systems do exactly as I told - full access to db,
limited access to frontends. As I said, dirty :/.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
   http://www.zbxt.net