POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Did you know... : Re: Did you know... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Did you know...
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Jan 2008 00:05:19
Message: <4779ca0f$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   However, I don't understand why GR would predict a curved universe
> where each geodesic line is closed. What would cause it? Certainly not
> the mass in the universe. I don't think it would be even nearly enough.

Last I saw, estimates were that we're within experimental uncertainty
about whether we're within our own Schwartzchild radius. I.e., depending
on what 'dark energy' does, and just how much 'dark matter' is out
there, the universe may be flat, positively curved, or negatively curved.

> (Because if it was caused by mass, it would mean that the entire universe
> is actually inside its own Schwarzschild radius, which is clearly not the
> case.)

Not sure why you would think that. If there's enough mass to eventually
collapse the universe back to the "big crunch", then by definition we're
in a "black hole" out of which no light can escape. It's just a really
big one, hundreds of billions of light years in diameter. :-)

I'm not sure the singularity math works from the inside, either.

>   I don't find any kind of logic in that. Why would there be a "similar",
> "parallel" version of anything if you travel far enough? It doesn't make
> any logical sense.

Probably in the "inifinite monkeys type shakespear" kind of way.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it