POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : On the topic of databases... : Re: On the topic of databases... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: On the topic of databases...
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Dec 2007 22:52:20
Message: <4779b8f4$1@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:
> As dirty as it sounds (and is), most systems I've seen handle the actual
> db with full access (or at least with permissions that are "enough") and
> the frontend takes care of the permissions.

That's what I've usually done, but I've so far written systems where
only one application accesses the DB.

I saw a lecture about a tool set one person built (Wyatt Erp or some
such name) (in Tcl) that let you build enterprise-level systems. One
application took orders, another did the accounting, one did the
scheduling, one sent the parts list to the assembly automation, and so
on. So you really wouldn't want the guy running the application that ran
the machine tools to have access to the same stuff the guy running the
sales management software to have.

I just haven't figured out an especially clean way of separating it out.
Maybe I need to look at the Wyatt Erp source code. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it