POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random interjection: the Halting Problem : Re: A random interjection: the Halting Problem Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A random interjection: the Halting Problem
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 29 Dec 2007 15:01:00
Message: <4776a77c@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   The halting problem belongs to the worst possible complexity class: The
> one of unsolvable problems. Of course that doesn't mean there exist no
> inputs for which it is solvable. It means that there exist inputs for
> which it's not.

That's an interesting way of putting it. I'll have to remember that one...

There seems to be a general misunderstanding that the halting problem
says it's impossible to determine the output for any program at all.
Obviously, this is not the case. Similarly, there seems to be a
misunderstanding that it's "impossible" to solve a 5th order polynomial
algebraicly. It's not. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/