POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm back : Re: I'm back Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm back
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 28 Dec 2007 15:32:27
Message: <47755d5b$1@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:

>> It probably doesn't help that the new AV software seems to take ages
>> to update itself, and my enemies in the USA have configured it to
>> update once per hour (??!!?!)
>>
> Your antivirus is probably way to agressive, scanning each and every
> files everytimes they are accessed in any way. If a non infectable file
> was accessed 10 seconds ago, why scan it again? Why scan it the first
> time? Some AV will scan any BMP, TXT and INI files on each access.
> Look if you can change it's settings, exclude some extentions and folders.

We were using Symantec. Only scans files which are actually "executable"
in some way. Only bothers to rescan them if they get written to. (Or the
definitions are updated.)

> Change the update scedule from hourly to dayly. Hourly updates often
> realy do nothing at all, exept using your resources.

Indeed. When I was in control of the settings, I had it set to daily.
(And a time that won't upset the guys who actually earn our money.)
Hourly? WTF? Are you mental??

> You may try some other AV.

Nope. Company policy. (Obviously nobody asked me...)

It's probably not actually a bad product, just silly configuration.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/