POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm back : Re: I'm back Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:16:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm back
From: Alain
Date: 28 Dec 2007 14:50:37
Message: <4775538d@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/28 05:43:
> Kyle wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:29:04 +0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm failing to see any meaningful performance difference...
>>
>> I'm surprised you don't see a difference.  Do you only ever run one
>> simple application at a time?
>
> Yes. Because it's far too slow to open multiple programs at once.
>
> I was hoping that adding 5x more RAM would make the machine faster and
> more responsive. But no, it still takes 20 minutes to boot up, and it's
> still horribly slow to start any applications (or even shut them down).
>
> It probably doesn't help that the new AV software seems to take ages to
> update itself, and my enemies in the USA have configured it to update
> once per hour (??!!?!)

Your antivirus is probably way to agressive, scanning each and every files
everytimes they are accessed in any way. If a non infectable file was accessed
10 seconds ago, why scan it again? Why scan it the first time? Some AV will scan
any BMP, TXT and INI files on each access.
Look if you can change it's settings, exclude some extentions and folders.
Change the update scedule from hourly to dayly. Hourly updates often realy do
nothing at all, exept using your resources.

You may try some other AV.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you invented glasses that can be