POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : CSG lighting : Re: CSG lighting Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG lighting
From: Alain
Date: 28 Dec 2007 14:31:45
Message: <47754f21$1@news.povray.org>
ADK nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/27 18:37:
> Hi,
>
> I've spent ages trying to figure out what's causing this. I'm trying to create a
> paper lantern, so I've taken a sphere, used difference with two boxes to get a
> horizontal slice of it, and then repeated this with slightly different sized
> spheres each time, so as to create a sort of segmented sphere. Now, I've used
> double_illuminate and hollow so as to place two spotlights inside, one for just
> generally illuminating the inside, and another to create a soft patch of light
> to simulate the lightbulb inside it. Now, this hasn't exactly worked. One of
> the segments is lit, but all the others are dark. So, can anyone identify the
> mistake I've made? Your help would be much appreciated. I'd post an image, but
> I've just realised that you can't post attachments here. :(

A little more effecient: Use an intersection of the sphere and one box.
And if you only want a shell, you can use clipped_by. It cut the object and
leave the clipped part open.

Why use two lights, usualy, in a case like that, one with a looks_like is OK and
faster.
With your aproach, you'll need another light if you see that object in a
reflection, and need to adjust the direction of the light if you move the camera.
Set your "paper" as slightly transparent. Apply some normal with a small scale.
  Add an interior with an ior. You may want to average several normals to get a
smoother blured contour.
Place a light_source inside with a looks_like statement. Give it a
fade_distance, and fade_power 2, with a value similar to the radius of the
looks_like object and increase the value of the light to compansate.

hollow only purpose it to allow an object to contain some media.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when people around you are astounded by