POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is scary stuff : Re: This is scary stuff Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:16:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is scary stuff
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 28 Dec 2007 12:22:37
Message: <477530dd$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> In fact, every population who was said at one time to be unable or unwilling
> to "integrate into the hosting culture" did so eventually. Italian
> immigrants, from the 19th century up to the mid 20th, were the subject of
> considerable debate and hostility, including mass murder. Who cares now?
> Immigrants arrive, life is a bitch for everyone for a few generations, good
> old sex ends up erasing the cultural hang-ups and finally (figurative)
> heterosis takes over.

	Never been to France, but it does seem to me like things are quite bad
there regarding immigration. In my town we have a number of immigrants
who were originally from North Africa but had moved to France. They're
all educated - some obtained PhD's in France. They came to the US
because they got sick of it there - quite a bit of discrimination is
what they claimed. I remember during the riots (immigration ones - not
the job ones) a while back, BBC had a link to a report that stated that
North Africans in France were *four* times more likely to get a job if
they changed their name on the resume to a French one (and indeed, many
did officially change their names for this reason).

	I had a French colleague (non-immigrant). He wasn't very political, but
he also said that there is a lot of prejudice against them, but that no
one admits to it.

	Then there is the flip side - a lot of the N African (have no idea how
big or small in numbers) over there have turned out to be thugs.

	All this is anecdotal. It certainly seems both sides were feeding off
the other.

--
Liberal Household: Tresspassers will be lectured!

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl