POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is scary stuff : Re: This is scary stuff Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:16:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is scary stuff
From: Warp
Date: 27 Dec 2007 16:11:56
Message: <4774151c@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> > Tim Cook <z99### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote:
> >> This is to say, they're specifically interested in stopping the next
> >> Nazi regime
> >
> >   By building up a similar regime of censorship, propaganda and limitation
> > of basic human rights.
> You are overreacting.

  I'm honestly hoping so. After all, I live here too.

> If this law could help in defusing the debate so that finally things can
> be done about the real problems of the immigrants and the people living
> near them I would be very happy.

  The problem I see is that currently the rational discussion about the
problems of immigration are being overwhelmed by loud racist bigotry and
people only see the latter, and while fighting against it, they are also
going to kill the rational discussion with it. In other words, people who
are *not* racist and who have rational concerns about immigration problems
are going to be shut down by the same measures used to shut down the true
racists.

  I hope I'm wrong in this.

> >   If a country starts behaving in ways similar to the nazi party, it will
> > quickly be shut down by surrounding countries. I don't believe there is
> > any danger of this happening.

> Wishful thinking, they won't interfere unless they are at risk
> themselves. You could make a case that Russia is sliding towards a
> dictatorial regime. I haven't seen any surrounding country taking steps,
> but perhaps there is a new role for Finland here.

  I think trying to kill racism by creating totalitarian censorship laws
is also wishful thinking. It's more like trying to sweep the problem under
the carpet, out of sight (and probably unsuccessfully even at that).

--
                                                          - Warp