POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is scary stuff : Re: This is scary stuff Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:16:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is scary stuff
From: andrel
Date: 27 Dec 2007 15:22:56
Message: <477409A8.3040706@hotmail.com>
Warp wrote:
> Tim Cook <z99### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote:
>> This is to say, they're specifically interested in stopping the next
>> Nazi regime
>
>   By building up a similar regime of censorship, propaganda and limitation
> of basic human rights.
You are overreacting.

>   Honestly, how probable it is, in the current world, that a "nazi regime"
> can form, even without these types of totalitarian laws, especially given
> that we are talking about Europe? I think it's next to nil.
I disagree, Pim Fortuijn (who was far too intelligent to be a xenophobe
no matter what his adversaries made of him) was heading for a landslide
victory that might have got him the position of MP before he was
assassinated. One of his main items was immigration. After his death
that was taken over by some less intelligent people that saw an easy way
to increase their personal exposure by leaving out all nuances. ATM
people that think that their personal problems could be solved by
harsher measures towards foreigners amount for about 20 places in our
parliament (out of 150). If the political 'leaders' of this movement can
block any improvement in the situation for a couple of years they could
increase their influence even more.
If this law could help in defusing the debate so that finally things can
be done about the real problems of the immigrants and the people living
near them I would be very happy.

>   If a country starts behaving in ways similar to the nazi party, it will
> quickly be shut down by surrounding countries. I don't believe there is
> any danger of this happening.

Wishful thinking, they won't interfere unless they are at risk
themselves. You could make a case that Russia is sliding towards a
dictatorial regime. I haven't seen any surrounding country taking steps,
but perhaps there is a new role for Finland here.