POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is scary stuff : Re: This is scary stuff Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:16:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is scary stuff
From: Warp
Date: 27 Dec 2007 14:37:35
Message: <4773feff@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook <z99### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote:
> Considering the Nazi regime got its foothold because common folk had
> justified resentment over how they perceived the government was not
> handling things, I'd say it's pretty likely

  I disagree. The cultural and historical context was completely different.
Today the western world is extremely careful and watches very closely any
country which shows any symptom of fascist-style ideologies.
  This has actually happened recently in Europe (I can't remember the
country right now).

  For a fascist nation to be born in modern Europe something very radical
has to happen (for example a big-time economical crash), and if that happens,
I don't believe an european totalitarian censorship law is going to prevent
it from happening at all.

  In the end, the (fallacious) principle is simply what Orwell expressed
in his famous book: If people don't have the means to communicate their
opinion, the opinion will die (the basic idea of "newspeak").

--
                                                          - Warp