POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is scary stuff : Re: This is scary stuff Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is scary stuff
From: Tim Cook
Date: 27 Dec 2007 14:15:43
Message: <4773f9df$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Honestly, how probable it is, in the current world, that a "nazi regime"
> can form, even without these types of totalitarian laws, especially given
> that we are talking about Europe? I think it's next to nil.
>   If a country starts behaving in ways similar to the nazi party, it will
> quickly be shut down by surrounding countries. I don't believe there is
> any danger of this happening.

Considering the Nazi regime got its foothold because common folk had
justified resentment over how they perceived the government was not
handling things, I'd say it's pretty likely, considering the vocality of
a good number of 'ordinary' Europeans against supposed police states and
insisting that 'freedom of speech' is more important than the reality of
needing to reduce hatred of 'others' (which is ironically amplified by
the legislative efforts, but that doesn't mean what the legislation is
trying to accomplish is bad).

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.digitalartsuk.com