POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Minority Report anyone? : Re: Minority Report anyone? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Minority Report anyone?
From: stbenge
Date: 23 Dec 2007 20:05:19
Message: <476f05cf@news.povray.org>
Rune wrote:
> (...) In the coming years, law enforcement authorities around the world will
> be able to rely on iris patterns, face-shape data, scars and perhaps even
> the unique ways people walk and talk, to solve crimes and identify criminals
> and terrorists. The FBI will also retain, upon request by employers, the
> fingerprints of employees who have undergone criminal background checks so
> the employers can be notified if employees have brushes with the law."

I may never have a job again, since I have a criminal background. They
might just be forcing people like me to work 'under the table' for the
rest of our lives, because no employer will have me no matter how many
meds I'm taking, or how much therapy I've undergone. Like the War on
Drugs, the measures they take to fight the War on Terrorism will
eventually bite 'them' in the ass.

Also, this little bit from the the article is somewhat disturbing:
"For the past two years, the Defense Department has been storing in a
database images of fingerprints, irises and faces of more than 1.5
million Iraqi and Afghan detainees, Iraqi citizens and foreigners who
need access to U.S. military bases."

That's a large number of detainees! As my brother pointed out, most of
these people have probably since been released, but you know that a
large number are still in detainment. Without Due Process.

The War is making this planet too damn small :( With all the
surveillance the government plans to have, it will seem like we're
living in a veritable Panopticon. I don't know about you guys, but
sometimes I like to get lost for the sake of freedom in loneliness. Or I
like to be anonymous in a crowd, for the sense of freedom that provides.
With the world heading the way it is, the before-mentioned activities
will become difficult undertakings.

Sam