POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Flipside has won IGF Student Showcase Award : Re: Flipside has won IGF Student Showcase Award Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:16:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flipside has won IGF Student Showcase Award
From: Rune
Date: 22 Dec 2007 13:25:52
Message: <476d56b0@news.povray.org>
"gregjohn" wrote:
> Extreme congratulations on your ability to live out the dream most of us
> probably have-- the ability to get paid (to break even?)  on doing pov.

No, I'm sorry if I was unclear, but the "walking system" I'll be making
won't be in POV-Ray but in the Unity Engine. I was just comparing it to the
system I made previously in POV-Ray. It's still living out my dream though.
Unity is *very* nice to work with. :)

> Would be interested in more details about what kind of product or code
> you're
> producing in walking.

The Unity Engine already supports skeletal keyframe animations, which can be
imported directly from for example Maya. Blending of several animations is
also supported as well as manual control of bone transformations.

What I'll be doing is a system that figures out where to place to feet on
the ground and then does this using inverse kinematics and other techniques.
The advantage will be that the walking cycle will be adapted to curved
paths, slopes, uneven terrain, stairs, and stepping stones. There will also
be support for blending between standing, walking and running, stepping
sideways and backwards, leaning forwards and backwards on acceleration and
sideways on turning and other things. It will work for human-like characters
as well as most other characters with any number of legs. It is targeted at
game development.

Rune
--
http://runevision.com