POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : back after a ~decade..pov geometry exporters? : Re: back after a ~decade..pov geometry exporters? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: back after a ~decade..pov geometry exporters?
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 21 Dec 2007 16:51:37
Message: <476c3569$1@news.povray.org>
> Additionally, being a programmer I find it hard/difficult to accept that
> it is *completely*  impossible to export a great deal of pov-ray
> functionality into one or many programs, and this is something that I
> think I will at least experiment with once Lightwave arrives at my house.

It's possible in theory, it's just that no one has done much past a few
meshes.

> Essentially POV SDL is very close in structure to most C-like programming
> languages, and given this, perhaps one could translate pov-sdl into some
> form of XML which could be further manipulated using XSL-FO to produce
> scenes or objects which could be loaded into another renderer, and
> vise-versa.

It's quite a bit like C, the hardest parts, like the pre-processor commands.
Macros are parsed to replace multiple or even partial commands and objects.

> Seriously, a CSG is a CSG and a sphere is a sphere...
> Most of the complication I forsee would be in the translation of
> materials, lighting models and particle effects, which would be less
> complicated with procedural applications like Houdini and those compatible
> with the Renderman interface, like BMRT.
>
> So logistically I think this is at least feasible, and at most a serious
> PITA.

POV doesn't provide a tesselation of objects, so the tesselation would
need to come from the conversion utility, because unfortunately
a sphere is not just a sphere in many other formats, but a bunch of
triangles, or nurbs.

> If we can write programs which translate chinese into english, java to
> c#/vb, and dwg to dgn, how hard could SDL conversion be?

Hard.

> I suppose I will find out! ;-D
>
> ian
> Nothing that seems logically possible will be any fun to attempt. ;-)

Good luck =)