POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : back after a ~decade..pov geometry exporters? : Re: back after a ~decade..pov geometry exporters? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:29:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: back after a ~decade..pov geometry exporters?
From: [GDS|Entropy]
Date: 21 Dec 2007 01:11:46
Message: <476b5922$1@news.povray.org>
Hmm...well it would seem that at this point in time you are correct, though
I do remember an old macro meant to translate pov-ray objects into meshes
which could be exported..

Additionally, being a programmer I find it hard/difficult to accept that it
is *completely*  impossible to export a great deal of pov-ray functionality
into one or many programs, and this is something that I think I will at
least experiment with once Lightwave arrives at my house.

Essentially POV SDL is very close in structure to most C-like programming
languages, and given this, perhaps one could translate pov-sdl into some
form of XML which could be further manipulated using XSL-FO to produce
scenes or objects which could be loaded into another renderer, and
vise-versa.

Seriously, a CSG is a CSG and a sphere is a sphere...
Most of the complication I forsee would be in the translation of materials,
lighting models and particle effects, which would be less complicated with
procedural applications like Houdini and those compatible with the Renderman
interface, like BMRT.

So logistically I think this is at least feasible, and at most a serious
PITA.

If we can write programs which translate chinese into english, java to
c#/vb, and dwg to dgn, how hard could SDL conversion be?

I suppose I will find out! ;-D

ian
Nothing that seems logically possible will be any fun to attempt. ;-)