POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : back after a ~decade..pov geometry exporters? : Re: back after a ~decade..pov geometry exporters? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:26:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: back after a ~decade..pov geometry exporters?
From: Alain
Date: 19 Dec 2007 11:16:14
Message: <476943ce$1@news.povray.org>
[GDS|Entropy] nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/19 04:19:
> Hello All,
>
> It has been roughly ten years since I have posted to this forum (as ian
> mcdonald/IanM/ian), and a similarly long time since I have used POV-Ray.
> :'-(
> I've been programming these last years, and haven't had sufficient time to
> meddle in my other interests.
>
> I am glad to see old names still at work, and new ones as well, though I do
> wonder what happened to Tor Olav Kristensen, H.E. Day, Chris Huff, Nieminen
> Juha and Mick Hazelgrove. If any of you all are still out there, may your
> work live on and inspire new generations! ;-D
>
> Cheers to you all! <gulps copius amounts of Chimay Grande Reserve..>
>
> I am looking forward to v4.0 and generally getting back into the mix
> (sheiße, it is like beginning anew!!).   ;-)
>
> I have for now but one question, though it is multipartite:
> Does any utility or plugin now exist which might allow proper export of
> POV-Ray geometry to, or POV-Ray to be called to render from, something such
> as Lightwave 9.2 or Houdini 9?
>
> Alle danke!
> <gulps more Chimay and tosses in a chunk of Epoisses>
> Cheers!
>
> Ian - ???
> [As Above|So Below]

POV-Ray use primitives. Lightwave use meshes, and Houdini probably does the
same, and don't use primitives.
To do that export, you need to convert all objects of the POV scene into meshes.
There are no universal way to do that, especialy with isosurfaces.
Using Poseray, you can import into POV-Ray from those.

--
Alain
'I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.'